Friday, October 5, 2012

Birth Story

My amazing hubby SoggyStargazer wrote up our Birth Story from his perspective a few weeks back, which was amazing to read!  I started feeling that I needed to put in all into my own words as well.  I have so much I want to express and share about our experience that it seems almost impossible to convey how utterly perfect it all was!

My hubby and I spent a lot of time over the 9 months reading, asking questions, and deciding that we wanted to try for a natural childbirth (no epidural, no narcotics, no interventions).  We hired a Doula, and attended classes to help us with coping through the labor pains. We created a birth plan and shared it with our OB. But we were very realistic in knowing that rarely do things go according to plan, so we prepared ourselves for alternatives and knew that however our birth played out we would not be surprised by any necessary interventions/ procedures.


Our due date of Sept 4th came and went with no baby. With each passing day, I started to grow concerned that interventions would become necessary.  I had started feeling Braxton Hicks more frequently by this point, but the tightening was more in my upper abdomen and did not appear to be what I anticipated real contractions to be like.  At my Sept 7th appt, all fluids were good, stress test came back great, but I was only dilated to a loose 1 cm (no change from the prior week) with some effacement.  My OB went ahead and scheduled an induction for Sept 17th, which would be my 42 week.  I went into the appt hoping that I would have dilated at least another cm or more.   This was very discouraging, but my hubby kept reassuring me that I shouldn't worry, so I tried not to. 

My hubby's family flew in that evening.  The following day, we spent the day at the farmers market, had lunch and I tried to keep my mind occupied.  Later that afternoon, I started feeling more Braxton Hicks, but this time they felt different.  My lower back was aching and I could feel the tightening in my lower abdomen now, and at regular intervals.  But they were not painful, just uncomfortable.  We spent the evening at home hanging out with my hubby's parents and sister, surfing the internet, playing guitar and singing songs and coloring in color books.  It was nice and relaxing and helped keep my mind off the Braxton Hicks.  I was trying not to get my hopes up that THIS was it!

We said goodnight to the family and they retired their hotel around midnight.  Around 2:30 am, I woke to stronger tightening in my abdomen and knew right away that they were real contractions. I laid in bed timing them, they were about 7-9 mins apart. About 2 hours later the contractions had increased in intensity and I couldn't lay in bed anymore. I got up, sat on the birthing ball, kneeled on my hands and knees trying to relieve the pressure on my abdomen and continued to breathe through the contractions which were still about 7-9 mins apart. Around 6:00 am I decided to go back to bed and try and get some rest. The contractions continued to mildly increase in intensity as the hours passed. In between each contraction, I would try to relax and sleep.  My hubby woke around 8:00 am and immediately noticed my slow concentrated breathing. He rolled over, his face smiling ear to ear....THIS was it! What we had been anxiously awaiting!

We got up out of bed, hubby made us breakfast and I continued to try and manage the contractions through breathing.  We called our Doula and let her know that things had started rolling along.  We spent most of the morning into afternoon just hanging out, watching tv while I alternated between sitting on the ball, laying on the couch and walking around the yard to cope with the contraction pain.  My contractions tended to be farther apart when I would lay down, and I was able to get some rest in between contractions but not much.  Around 5:00 pm I became a little restless and we decided to walk around the neighborhood to see if that would speed up contractions...which it did. They would get about 4 mins apart at times when I was on my feet but were inconsistent when sitting or lying down and would increase to 7 or more minutes apart.  My hubby would ask if I was ready to go to the hospital, my response was typically 'No, I don't know'.  I really did not want to get to the hospital to be turned away because I was not in active labor.  


By 7:00 pm, I was exhausted.  I had been up since 2:30 am (after only getting a few hours of sleep).  My hubby called our Doula, and she suggested that I take a warm bath which should slow my contractions down enough to get some rest. I rested in the tub for over an hour, my hubby beside me spraying warm water on me while I continued to breathe through the contractions and rest in between.  The contractions slowed down to about 8 mins apart and I climbed into bed.  My hubby was amazing throughout all of this.  He was always at my side, supporting me through the contractions.  Once we were in bed, he started helping me by sort of a hypnosis technique.  Something he later admitted made him feel silly, but it worked like a charm.  He would tell me to imagine I was on a beach (he even downloaded an app that played waves breaking on the beach).  It really helped me focus my breathing.  We laid in bed for a few hours, of which I think I was able to get some good rest, possibly not even waking fully through some of the contractions. 

Our initial birthplan was to labor at home as long as we could.  The familiarity of home and being able to eat and relax freely was important to us.  We knew also, that our insurance would pay for 48 hours from the time we checked in.  Because of this, we were trying to hold out on going to the hospital after midnight to ensure 2 full days (if we needed).

Around 11:30 pm, my contractions were coming closer together, about 4-5 mins apart and were very intense.  I started feeling like it was time to go to the hospital,  My hubby loaded our bag into the car, called our Doula and arranged to meet her at the hospital.  I got out of bed and headed towards the car, stopping on the way to bare more contractions, which were extremely intense at this point and about 3 mins apart.  The ride to the hospital (only 15 mins away) felt like an eternity.  I began to get nervous to know how far dilated I was once we arrived.  Was I managing the pain well, or was I not a far along as I was feeling??

We arrived at the hospital around 12:30 am on Sept 10th.  We were brought into the admitting room where the nurse examined me and I was dilated to 5 cm and 90% effaced.  This was a huge relief.  Our Doula arrived shortly after us.  She later commented that she was surprised I was at 5, based on my calm demeanor.  I continued to have intense contractions while laying on the admitting table.  I was extremely uncomfortable at this point, and having some difficulty breathing through the contractions.  Luckily, our OB was on-call that night and arrived to check on me as well.  She admitted me, and said she would be back at 5:00 am to check on me, unless things changed in the meantime.  Right after she left the room, I felt a warm rush of liquid - my water had broke.  It was now 2:30 am. 

The nurse led us to our birthing suite.  It became extremely difficult for me to walk at this point, I was feeling a lot of pressure.  When we arrived at our room, my hubby filled up the labor tub and left to get our bag while our Doula helped me relax on the birthing ball and the nurse hooked me up to the fetal monitor.  During each contraction, I would feel more of my water breaking.  My hubby returned and I climbed into the labor tub.  My hubby continued with the hypnosis, but this time telling me to listen to my body, that my body knows what to do.  Luckily, I was able to get right back to my 'calm' place and was breathing well through the contractions until by body started wanting to push.  I went from breathing through the contractions like rolling hills to climbing rocky peaks.  I turned to my hubby, and said I'm loosing it.  I don't know if I can do this.  Another contraction came and my body pushed.  Our Doula asked, do you feel like pushing, are you pushing??  Yes, I said, I couldn't help it.  

It was then, that our Doula and my hubby helped me out of the tub and onto the bed.  It was now 3:30 am.  The nurse checked me, and I was now 9 cm and 100% effaced.  Another contraction came and it was so intense, I was trying to keep my body from pushing which was incredibly painful.  Our OB arrived minutes later and I was now 10 cm, and could start pushing.  I pushed with all I could, resting between contractions.  My hubby, our Doula and OB coaching me along the way and encouraging me that with each push the baby was progressing closer and closer.  I recall the nurses placing bets on whether it was a boy or girl.  All of the nurses guessed girl!!!  The nurses were incredible.  They were all remarking that I was extremely calm, that women with epidurals appeared to be in more pain that I did.  My husband says that between each contraction, while at rest I had a slight smile on my face.  I really don't know where I got the strength to power through it.  Before I knew it, the baby's head had crowned and I could feel baby moving and adjusting into position.  I felt extreme pressure and burning.  I pushed with all of my might and then felt a huge relief.  


I pushed for about 2 hours before our daughter was brought into the world at 6:04 am.  She was immediately brought to my chest, our beautiful daughter.  It was so amazing!  I cannot explain the emotions that ran over my body in those moments.  Happiness to meet our baby girl, and that she was a GIRL!  Relief that she was out!  Immense love for my hubby who was so supportive and there with me every step of the way.  Powerful, that I was able to manage through the pain without medication and awe that I was able to do it!

Lily Elizabeth
9 lbs 1 oz 19.5 in 

While our birthplan was to go all natural, I really did not know if I would be able to do it.  In looking back, there were a few things that I believe really helped me get through it.  All the time we spent talking with our OB about our birth plan and asking questions about alternatives and possible interventions that might occur really helped give us a clear idea of what could and might happen during labor and delivery.  Being informed helped relieve some fear.  We also surrounded ourselves with a solid support system - from our OB to our Doula, everyone was on board with our desire to have a natural childbirth.  And lastly, my incredible husband.  Without whom, I know I would not been able to make it through the 22 hours of laboring at home, or the 6 hours at the hospital.  I am lucky that I married a man who is my true partner in life.  


No comments:

Post a Comment